The Air Force History and Museums Program was established in 1942. Its purpose is to:
- Enhance institutional memory of the Air Force;
- Collect, record, organize, preserve information and documents for planning, research, and reference;
- To provide officials with perspective, advice, ideas and data;
- To research, analyze, write, disseminate publications about Air Force Roles, missions, and activities;
- To answer requests from Air Force, other government, Congress, media, public at large;
- To sustain the heritage of the Air Force;
- To help the Air Force better understand the present and plan for the future, and;
- To promote knowledge of aerospace power and heritage.
The SMC History Office supports SMC's mission by collecting, preserving and providing information about the programs, accomplishments, and heritage of the Space and Missile Systems Center at Los Angeles Air Force Base in El Segundo, Calif., and the space missions of the United States Air Force.