Colonel Thomas R. Rock Jr. is the Senior Materiel Leader for the Range and Network Division, Space and Missile Systems Center, Los Angeles AFB, CA. He leads over 250 government and contractor personnel modernizing and sustaining the world-wide Air Force Satellite Control Network (AFSCN) as well as the nation's Launch and Test Range System (LTRS) located at Vandenberg AFB, CA and Cape Canaveral AFS, FL. As Chief, he manages execution of the LTRS Integrated Support Contract (LISC), the Satellite Control Network Contract (SCNC) contract, and the LTRS Systems Engineering and Integration (SE&I) contract. He is responsible for the Consolidated AFSCN Modifications, Maintenance, and Operations (CAMMO) acquisition and the Space Acquisition Training Office that facilitates standardized training systems for the space enterprise.
Col. Rock graduated from the United States Air Force Academy in 1993. He has served in a variety of operational, acquisition, staff and command assignments. Notable highlights include achieving full rate production approval for his $2.4B ACAT I ICBM Propulsion Replacement Program, shepherding the Joint Air Surface Standoff Missile through Nunn-McCurdy certification as Program Element Monitor, and 80+ successful launch operations as squadron commander. Prior to his current assignment, Col. Rock was the Deputy Director, Engineering Management and Technical Services, Air Force Life Cycle Management Center, Air Force Materiel Command, Eglin AFB, FL.
1993 Bachelor of Science, Aeronautical Engineering, USAF Academy, CO.
1998 Masters of Business Administration, Wright State University, Dayton, OH.
2000 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, AL.
2007 Master of Science, Systems Engineering, AFIT, Wright Patterson AFB, OH.
2008 Advanced Program Management Course, Defense Management Systems College, Ft Belvoir, VA.
2012 Master of Strategic Studies degree and Warfighting Practitioner Certificate, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, AL.
1. June 1993 - April 1994, Executive Officer, 416th Operations Group, 416th Bomb Wing, Griffiss AFB, NY.
2. May 1994 - September 1998, Aerodynamic Weapons Design Engineer, National Air Intelligence Center, Wright Patterson, AFB OH.
3. October 1998 - June 1999, student, Education With Industry, Lockheed Martin Tactical Aircraft Systems, Fort Worth, TX.
4. July 1999 - May 2003, Program Manager Propulsion Replacement Program, Executive Officer, and Chief Rocket Systems Launch Program, ICBM SPO, Ogden Air Logistics Center, Hill AFB, UT.
5. June 2003 - May 2005, Program Manager Spacelift Range Systems Contract and Deputy Chief Systems Engineering Integration Division, Satellite and Launch Control SPO, Space and Missile Systems Center, Los Angeles AFB, CA.
6. May 2005 - March 2006, Deputy Director of Staff, Space and Missile Systems Center, Los Angeles AFB, CA.
7. March 2006 - June 2007, student, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright Patterson AFB, OH.
8. June 2007-June 2009, Chief, Precision Attack Branch and Long Range Strike Weapons Program Element Monitor, Directorate of Global Power, Office of the Under Secretary of the Air Force, Pentagon, Washington, DC.
9. June 2009-July 2011, Commander, 45th Range Management Squadron, 45th Space Wing, Cape Canaveral AFS, FL
10. July 2011-June 2012, student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, AL.
11. July 2012 - July 2014, Deputy, Range and Network Division, Space and Missile Systems Center, Los Angeles AFB, CA.
12. July 2014 - May 2014, Deputy Director, Engineering Management and Technical Services, Air Force Life Cycle Management Center, Eglin AFB, FL.
13. May 2014 - Present, Senior Materiel Leader, Range and Network Division, Space and Missile Systems Center, Los Angeles AFB, CA.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
SAF/AQP Individual Leadership Award, 2008
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant 2 June 1993
First Lieutenant 1 June 1995
Captain 1 June 1997
Major 1 October 2003
Lieutenant Colonel 1 October 2008
Colonel 1 February 2015
(Current as of July 2015)