Mr. Cordell DeLaPena, Jr., a member of the Defense Intelligence Senior Executive Service, is the Director, Program Management and Integration Directorate, Space and Missile Systems Center, Air Force Space Command, Los Angeles Air Force Base, CA. He is the primary advisor to the Air Force Program Executive Officer for Space for weapon system management, acquisition, integration and analysis. He develops and deploys policies, strategies, processes, and tools for these functions across the Space and Missile Systems Center. He is responsible for the training and equipping of over 900 military and civilian program managers, executing $8 billion annually.
Mr. DeLaPena entered the Air Force in 1985 after receiving his commission through Officer Training School. His initial assignments included aircraft modification and test management responsibilities for the 4950th Test Wing, the Aeronautical Equipment Systems Program Office, and Armstrong Laboratories. He then held program manager positions associated with the Airborne Warning and Control System Program Office and the National Reconnaissance Office. He worked at a space operations site where he was responsible for the integration and readiness of a new imaging capability. He held staff positions with the Air Force Program Executive Officer for Command & Control and Combat Support, and the Under Secretary of the Air Force. He led the development of integrated Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance (ISR) Architectures for the National Security Space Architect's Office. He then served on the staff for the Under Secretary of Defense for Intelligence as the director for airborne ISR. In addition, he was the 653d Materiel Group Commander, Senior Materiel Leader for the Airborne Network Division, and most recently the Senior Materiel Leader for the ACAT 1D Family of Advanced Beyond-Line-of-Sight Terminals Program at Hanscom AFB. He retired from active duty in the rank of Colonel and entered civil service as a member of the Senior Executive Service in 2014. He assumed his current position in March 2014.
Mr. DeLaPena is a graduate of the Defense Systems Management College's Executive Program Manager Course. He is a designated member of the Defense Acquisition Workforce and is certified Level III in Program Management and Systems Planning, Research, Development and Engineering.
1981 Bachelor of Arts in Chemistry, Gettysburg College, PA
1984 Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering, West Virginia University, WV 1989 Master of Science in Management Science, University of Dayton, OH
1990 Squadron Officers School, Maxwell Air Force Base, AL
1992 Rapporteur, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, MA 1998 Air Command and Staff College (seminar), Maxwell Air Force Base, AL
1999 Advanced Program Managers Course, Defense Systems Management College, Ft. Belvoir, VA 2006 Air War College (residence), Academic Distinction, Maxwell Air Force Base, AL
2010 Executive Program Manager's Course, Defense Systems Management College, Ft. Belvoir, VA
1. July 1985 - December 1986, Aircraft Modification Operations Manager, Projects Division, 4950th Test
2. Wing, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, OH
3. December 1986 - October 1988, Aircraft Modification Manager, Special Projects Division, 4950th Test
4. Wing, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, OH
5. October 1988 - Jan 1990, Program Manager, Aeronautical Equipment Program Office, Wright-Patterson Air
6. Force Base, OH
7. Jan 1990 - February 1990, Student, Squadron Officers School, Maxwell Air Force Base, AL
8. February 1990 - July 1991, Program Manager, Aircrew Protection, Armstrong Laboratories, Wright- Patterson Air Force Base, OH
9. July 1991 - June 1994, Program Manager, AWACS Radar System Improvement Program, Hanscom Air Force Base, MA
10. June 1994 - June 1995, Executive Officer, AWACS Program Office, Hanscom Air Force Base, MA
11. June 1995 - August 1996, Program Manager, AWACS Offensive Counter-Air Programs, Hanscom Air Force Base, MA
12. August 1996 - June 1997, Chief, System Test Division, Office of Science and Technology, Assistant SECAF/Space, National Reconnaissance Office, Washington, D.C.
13. June 1997 - May 1999, Chief, Transition Operations Division, Space Operations Site, Assistant SECAF/Space, Washington, D.C.
14. May 1999 - July 1999, Student, Defense Systems Management College, Ft. Belvoir, VA
15. July 1999 - July 2000, Director, Transition Operations Division, Space Operations Site, Assistant SECAF/Space, Washington, D.C.
16. July 2000 - May 2001, Staff Director, Air Force Program Executive Office for Command & Control and Combat Support, Washington, D.C.
17. May 2001 - March 2002, Executive Officer, Air Force Program Executive Office for Command & Control and Combat Support, Washington, D.C.
18. March 2002 - July 2005, Chief, ISR Architecture Team, National Security Space Office, Fairfax, VA
19. July 2005 - May 2006, Student, Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, AL; Academic Distinction
20. May 2006 - July 2008, Director, Airborne Intelligence, Surveillance, & Reconnaissance Systems, Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Intelligence, Washington, D.C.
21. July 2008 - June 2010, Commander, 653d Electronic Systems Group, 653d Electronic Systems Wing, Hanscom AFB, MA.
22. July 2010 - March 2011, Senior Materiel Leader, Airborne Network Division, Air Force Program Executive Office for Cyber and Netcentric Programs, Hanscom AFB, MA.
23. March 2011 - February 2014, Senior Materiel Leader, Family of Advanced Beyond-Line-of-Sight Terminals, Air Force Program Executive Office for Cyber and Netcentric Programs, Hanscom AFB, MA.
24. March 2014 - Present, Director, Program Management and Integration Directorate, Space and Missile
Systems Center, Air Force Space Command, Los Angeles Air Force Base, CA.
AWARDS AND HONORS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
AF Meritorious Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
AF Commendation Medal
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Joint Service Achievement Medal
AF Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
1999 National Reconnaissance Office Bronze Medal
1999 Director's Circle Award Winner, Assistant SECAF/Space 2004 Department of Defense Modeling & Simulation Team Award 2005 National Security Space Office Team of the Year Award
2009 John J. Welch, Jr. Award for Acquisition Leadership
2009 Acquisition Leadership Award; Outstanding AF System Program Director
2009 Order of Daedalians Weapons Systems Award; Outstanding DoD Development Program
2010 Air Force Materiel Command Outstanding Analytical Team of the Year
2010 Electronic Systems Center System Program Office of the Year
(Current as of April 2015)