|MR. DAVID W. MADDEN|
On March 1, 2013, Mr. Madden was named the Space and Missile Systems Center's Executive Director
David W. Madden, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is the Director, Military Satellite Communications Systems Directorate, Space and Missile Systems Center, Air Force Space Command, Los Angeles Air Force Base, Calif. He is responsible for acquiring, deploying, and sustaining the $42 billion MILSATCOM portfolio of programs which consists of ACAT I and II programs including the Defense Satellite Communications System, Milstar, Global Broadcast Service (GBS), the Wideband Global SATCOM, the Advanced EHF program, the Enhanced Polar System, the Command and Control System-Consolidated, and associated Terminals programs.
Mr. Madden entered the Air Force in 1980 after graduating from the Virginia Military Institute. He has gained vast experience in systems engineering, technical intelligence, and command and control and space systems requirements, development, fielding and operations. In addition, he has commanded a Space Operations Squadron, a Material Acquisition Group, and most recently, the Global Positioning Systems Wing. He retired from active duty in the rank of Colonel and entered civil service in 2010.
1980 Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, Virginia Military Institute, Va.
1984 Squadron Officers School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1986 Masters of Science in Systems Management, University of Southern California, Calif.
1995 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1997 Undergraduate Space Training, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
1998 Advanced Program Managers Course, Defense Systems Management College, Ft Belvoir, Va.
1998 National Security Agency Senior Cryptologic Course, Ft Meade, Maryland
2000 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2007 Executive Program Managers Course, Ft Belvoir, Va.
1. August 1980 - May 1983, Telemetry Data Analyst, Ballistic Missiles, Foreign Technology Division, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
2. May 1983 - April 1986, Aerospace Systems and Technology Exploitation Analyst, Foreign Technology Division Detachment 4, Yokota AB, Japan
3. April 1986 - Oct 1989, Strategic Electronic Warfare Threat Analyst, Defense Intelligence Agency, Washington, DC
4. October 1989 - April 1993, Program Manager, Advanced Systems Program Office, Space and Missile Systems Center, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
5. April 1993 - August 1994, Program Manager, Advanced C3I System, Special Projects Program Office, Electronic Systems Center, Hanscom AFB, Mass.
6. August 1994 - June 1995, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
7. June 1995 - April 1998, Director of Engineering, Overhead Collection Management Center, National Reconnaissance Office Operating Detachment, Ft Meade, Maryland
8. April 1998 - July 2000, Commander, Satellite Operations Squadron, National Reconnaissance Office Operations Group, Onizuka AS, Calif.
9. July 2000 - July 2001, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
10. July 2001 - September 2002, Combat Survivor Evader Locator Program Manager, Navstar GPS Joint Program Office, Space and Missile Systems Center, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
11. September 2002 - July 2004, Chief, Command, Control, Communications and Navigation Division, Directorate of Requirements, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
12. July 2004 - July 2006, Commander, C4ISR Enterprise Integration Group, Electronic Systems Center, Air Force Materiel Command, Hanscom AFB, Mass.
13. July 2006 - June 2007, Vice Commander, Global Positioning Systems Wing, Space and Missile Systems Center, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
14. June 2007 - June 2010, Commander, Global Positioning Systems Wing, Space and Missile Systems Center, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
15. June 2010 - Present, Director, MILSATCOM Systems Directorate (previously Wing until Nov 2010), Space and Missile Systems Center, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
AWARDS AND HONORS:
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Achievement Medal
National Intelligence Medal of Achievement
2008 United States Air Force Outstanding System Program Director (Military) Award
2009 Air Force Association General John O'Neill Outstanding Program Director Award, Space and Missile Systems Center
2010 Institute of Navigation, Norman P. Hays Award, granted in recognition of outstanding encouragement, inspiration and support contributing to the advancement of navigation